Commenter Gina asks: What are the fifteen failings you identified for Lent?

Well, I'm not quite ready to lay bare my entire soul on the net, but the three of the fifteen I chose to work on this Lent are dependence on tv, unnecessary web surfing, and my soda pop addiction.

Relinquishing daytime websurfing and email checking

Very difficult. Disconnected the internet and hung the cord on a ladder-only-accessable curtain rod to reduce temptation. Day one was a hard day. But in the last three days I've editted 10 chapters, written two new scenes, identified and solved a timeline problem within my novel, done a ton of laundry, and had a hot meal waiting for the family in a clean kitchen every day when they got home. I feel so encouraged today I was thrilled to throw that cord over the curtain rod at 9:30 am.

Eschewing TV

We don't do tv before 3 pm (a gift of a Lent a dozen years past), so I didn't even notice it was missing during the day. But in the evening I NOTICED. For the last several years I'd taken to turning on the TV for the evening news and letting it run until bedtime. I rarely just sat and watched it. Instead I used it as background noise for couch potato activities like reading, playing free cell, net surfing, etc. Sounds harmless, right? It's not. In just the three days since we turned it off I've experienced the desire to attend meetings, Jazzercise, walk the dogs, and spend considerably more time interacting with the kids. Amazing how removing a vice allows good things to rush in to fill the void.

Surrendering the Dr. Pepper

I'm in withdrawal!!!! Though I admit I eased the symptoms considerably by giving up most things containing High Fructose Corn Syrup at New Year. I've been drinking real sugar Dr. Pepper for the most part since then, so I'd already gotten through the worst of the withdrawal headache in January - three days of blistering pain. I've also eased the digestive withdrawal symptoms enormously by drinking lots and lots of water. And since exposure to refined sugar or sugar water (like fruit juices) increases my cravings for soda pop, I'm substituting real fruit for juice and avoiding refined sugars - adding a virtue to combat the vice.

That's where it's at for now. Now it's time to write novels, so I'm off the net.


Something that's helping me write today: Lent


This entry was posted on Friday, February 19, 2010 and is filed under , , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

8 comments:

    L.A. Mitchell said...

    You've been blogging like crazy this week! So glad I could catch up. Thanks for organizing the blog dance...it was fun:)

  1. ... on February 19, 2010  
  2. Regina Richards said...

    You're welcome. :)

  3. ... on February 19, 2010  
  4. Wendy S Marcus said...

    The Internet is a major time drain. Since I've started blogging and joined a bunch of writers loops, all in the name of perfecting my craft and networking, I find I'm doing less and less writing. It's a catch 22...the more time you spend trying to move your writing career ahead, the less time you have to actually write!!!

  5. ... on February 21, 2010  
  6. Regina Richards said...
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  7. ... on February 21, 2010  
  8. Regina Richards said...

    Too true.

    Yesterday I attended a lecture on Marketing and Promotion by two writers, Misa Ramirez (Living la Vida Lola) and Nikki Duncan (Sounds to Die By). Both these ladies are top notch promotors and shared so much great info. But they both warned against letting promotion and marketing steal all your time away. After hearing all the promo tools they shared with us, I can see that could happen really easily.

  9. ... on February 21, 2010  
  10. Jen FitzGerald said...

    Good for you, Regina.

    Congrats on your will power.

  11. ... on February 22, 2010  
  12. Regina Richards said...

    Thanks, Jen. :) Missed you at the meeting Saturday.

  13. ... on February 22, 2010  
  14. Misa said...

    Ha! I should try giving up email and web surfing. Might help me, too!

    Good luck with the sacrifices. Go writing!!!!

    http://booksonthehouse.com
    http://booksonthehouse.com/kids

  15. ... on March 01, 2010