This morning another rejection arrived in my email. Form letter. I wanted a Dr. Pepper so badly I could have screamed.

But learning to handle rejection is part of this process of transformation from housewife to novelist. So I sat down and calmly helped my son fill out his class requests for next fall, then went into the bathroom and was sick. Yep. I'm good at appearing calm on the outside when I'm hurting on the inside. So good, that I can often fool even myself. But I can never fool my gut.

Time to step up to the roulette wheel and spin again. So tomorrow I'll put together a list of targeted agents and/or publishing houses. Shall we see which happens first: 100 rejections or an offer for publication?

Place your bets, ladies and gents.


Something that's helping me write today: belief in myself and a willingness to be gut-sick as many times as it takes.


This entry was posted on Sunday, February 28, 2010 and is filed under , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

5 comments:

    Jen FitzGerald said...

    Oh, Regina, I'm so sorry. But hang in there. You're a good writer. It'll happen.

  1. ... on March 01, 2010  
  2. Regina Richards said...

    Thanks, Jen. :)

  3. ... on March 01, 2010  
  4. Wendy S Marcus said...

    Hi Regina!
    Sorry about the rejection letter. I despise them myself. Have you ever visited www.writeattitude.net ? I find it a great motivator! Keep on writing...don't give up...your time will come!

  5. ... on March 01, 2010  
  6. K.M. Saint James said...

    Bummer on the rejection. Kudos on the stiff up-lip and your willingness to keep trying until they (collectively -- agents and editors) realize what a dynamic talent you are.

  7. ... on March 01, 2010  
  8. Regina Richards said...

    Bless you, Sandra. You're just the tonic a girl needs to prop her up at a time like this. You're beter than Dr. Pepper!

  9. ... on March 07, 2010