“You’re going to regret planting all those trees.”

She stands before the floor to ceiling windows that march across the back of my house, looking past the stretch of lawn to the dense stand of greenery beyond. It’s a ritual, this Condemning of the Trees, repeated each time she visits. I say nothing, forever bewildered at her inability to savor the dignified majesty of the oak, the colorful flirtatiousness of the crepe myrtle, the gentle serenity of the redbud, and the mysterious promise of wondrous autumn color secreted away in the green leaves of the maple and elm.

Blue jays and cardinals dart between the birdfeeder and birdbath. Their smaller less flashy cousins flit among the trees, alert for a chance to dive in for a bath or a meal when the more aggressive fellows are distracted.

She scowls at the trees, the birds that ornament them, and the beagles that loll in lazy comfort beneath their shade. “If one of those trees falls it’ll damage the house. Then you’ll be sorry.”

Again I say nothing, thinking of the mighty twin oaks felled by a spring storm last year. They missed the house, but as my husband said as we stood in the yard together grieving them, he could have fixed the house. Eighty year old trees are harder to replace.

“Trees are trouble,” she states firmly, then wanders away from the window. I sigh, relieved that the ritual of the Condemning of the Trees is nearly over.

She’d once had trees in her own yard, some even larger than my twin oaks. But after her husband died she’d removed them, one after another, glowing with relief as each was cut down, smiling with satisfaction as its dissected trunk was hauled away, its glorious branches fed to a shredder. I remained silent. Her yard is none of my business. But her elation at the sterile expanse of grass remaining baffled me.

When the trees were no more she removed the bushes and flowers as well, razing the flower beds.

Time passed and she began to complain about her neighbors' trees, fretting over their very existence, annoyed that each autumn her large fenced yard, now unprotected by a tree canopy, became a collecting basin for the leaves falling and blowing from the suburban forest beyond her fence. The leaves blanketed the grass like multi-colored snow, inches deep in some places. They piled in yellow and orange drifts against her shed. It was the one time of year her yard looked pretty. To me.

“Trees,” she says reproachfully as she settles on my couch, her back firmly to the glorious display beyond the window.

I take a seat facing the birds and beagles and beauty. And we talk about subjects on which we can agree.

So what does this little tale have to do with writing? Each person has their own version of what is pleasing, beautiful, and nurturing to them. Create for yourself, from yourself, what is pleasing to you. Share it with those who appreciate it. Don’t be disconcerted by those who do not.

Something that’s helping me write today: the coo of mourning doves.


This entry was posted on Thursday, July 01, 2010 and is filed under , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

7 comments:

    Jen FitzGerald said...

    Yay, Regina, you're back!

    And such a lovely post.

    You, girl, have a wonderful way with words.

  1. ... on July 02, 2010  
  2. Regina Richards said...

    Thanks, Jen. It's good to be back. :)

  3. ... on July 02, 2010  
  4. Kim Quinton said...

    Beautiful writing Regina!
    What I wouldn't give for an eighty year old oak in my sunburned backyard.
    Enjoy what your magical yard brings you. :)

  5. ... on July 02, 2010  
  6. Wendy S Marcus said...

    YAY!!! Regina's back!!! I'm sooooo happy! I missed you! Great post, and I especially love the way to relate each post to writing. As writers it's important for us to remember that each person has unique likes and dislikes. We may not agree with their opinion of our work but we must respect it.

  7. ... on July 02, 2010  
  8. Regina Richards said...

    Thanks Kim and Wendy.:)

    I truly miss those oaks and the half dozen other big trees I've lost over the past ten years. Sadly, I'm about to lose another soon. Boring Beatles (sounds rude doesn't it?) have attacked my Black Walnut. That's fixable if the attack is high, but sadly it's about knee-low on the trunk which I'm told means it will be fatal. Ants are trying to save the tree (or really just feed themselves, but I like to pretend they are on my side) by taking larvae by the thousands (yes literally the thousands) out of the trunk. The ants are more effective than any pesticide so I've threatened my husband with dire consequences if he kills those ants. Still even with the ants doing their darnedest, I'm told it will be three years tops before the Black Walnut succumbs. Hard to believe since it looks so vibrantly green and beautiful now.

  9. ... on July 02, 2010  
  10. Anonymous said...

    What a wonderful story! I love your writing, I could picture the scene before me, and the message is so true. There are always so many people who need to disagree - to fight - but all we need to do is be non judgemental and true to ourselves...and of course, write about it!

  11. ... on August 03, 2010  
  12. Regina Richards said...

    Hi Jennifer,

    I'm so glad you stopped by. I agree with you completely - being true to ourselves as writers and as people is the only thing that really works well in the end.

  13. ... on August 03, 2010