If you've read this blog much you're already aware I'm in a constant state of personal remodeling. I make resolutions as often as other people take showers. And so, true to form, I recently made two new resolutions.

The first: I will no longer eat food that tastes bad.

As a lifelong member of the Clean Plate Club this is not an easy one for me. My 'usual think' is: if I pay for it and don't eat it, I've wasted my money. My 'new think' is: let bad food go to waste, instead of to waist.

The first test of this new resolution came within hours. I'd had a productive morning writing and was feeling pleased with myself. I needed to run some errands and, since it was such a beautiful day, I decided to pick up lunch and take it to the park. And that's when the second resolution kicked in.

The second: I will try new things.

My 'usual think' is: it's better to get what I know I like than try something new and take the chance of being disappointed. My 'new think' is: try something new and if I'm disappointed, try something else new.

That's how I ended up at a burrito shop near campus. I got a small burrito to go, paid a ridiculous price, and took a bite in the car before heading to the park. Yuck! I set it aside and decided this called for the invocation of both resolutions. I would not eat bad food. I would try new things - again.

I drove through a chinese fast food restaruant. Paid a ridiculous price and didn't open the box until I got to the park. The park was crowded. All the shady spots were taken. So I sat in the car, turned on the radio and opened the Chinese food box. Yuck!

I drove home and fed the dogs the Chinese Burrito lunch. I know, I shouldn't feed the dogs junk, but they loved it. I made myself a sandwich, went back to writing and had an amazingly productive afternoon.

All this made me think that maybe these resolutions should  be applied to writing as well as to the rest of life. It's okay to try new things when writing. And it's okay to feed the ones that don't work to the dogs - figuratively speaking, of course.

Something that's helping me write today: a delicious homemade sandwich, and two happy dogs.


This entry was posted on Friday, May 06, 2011 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

4 comments:

    Jen FitzGerald said...

    Great post, Regina.

    I have long since given up the clean plate mentality. If I'm full or I don't like it, I stop eating. I know every dollar counts, but sometimes it's only money.

    I do like to try new things as well and am sometimes disappointed--but that's life.

    Lunch in the park sounds nice.

    And I'm most happy to hear that you had such a successful writing day.

  1. ... on May 09, 2011  
  2. Regina Richards said...

    "It's only money" is a philosophy I try hard to adher to, but I have a natural bend toward thriftiness that gets out of hand sometimes where food is concerned.

    Thanks for coming by. :)

  3. ... on May 09, 2011  
  4. Anonymous said...

    HI REgina! I get SO disappointed when my food is not up to my expectations! I'm used to it in writing but have little tolerance for bad food! Nice post!

  5. ... on May 11, 2011  
  6. Regina Richards said...

    Hi Jen,

    I've eaten so much bad food and am still wearing some of it. It looks as bad as it tastes. No more!

  7. ... on May 11, 2011