Three years ago I made a resolution to get completely out of debt before my oldest started college. Between several cars, a mortgage, plenty of medical bills, too much credit card debt, and The Great Recession which was increasing the cost of living while significantly reducing our income, that was no small resolution. But I figured why not dream big?

The medical bills are paid. The cars are ours. And the rest will be put to rest before the end of the year. Barring anything unforeseen we should be totally debt-free soon.

But my eldest is completing his freshman year at A&M Galveston in two weeks, so by the time I'm debt-free I'll have missed the original deadline by 16 months. Which means technically I didn't succeed.

Yet I failed in a positive way.

I try to keep that in mind when I set big goals in writing. Even when I don't hit the target as planned, I often fail in a positive way and find myself better off than when I started.

Something that's helping me write today: Crushed ice. I know you were expecting something more profound, but I love crushed ice.

p.s. Jen Probst has a wonderful post up at Four Bad Mommies. Check it out.


This entry was posted on Friday, April 29, 2011 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

5 comments:

    Unknown said...

    Congrats on being debt free, Regina! Enjoy!

    Amy

  1. ... on April 30, 2011  
  2. Regina Richards said...

    Not there yet, but working on it. Hopefully by the end of the year.Thanks for the positive wishes.

  3. ... on April 30, 2011  
  4. Wendy S. Marcus said...

    Hi Regina!
    I hope you're feeling better! Great post. I try to always focus on something positive. Like dark chocolate has antioxidants! And when I only meet half of my writing goal for the day...but hey, at least I wrote 500 words! No sense getting all upset when things don't go exactly as planned!

  5. ... on May 03, 2011  
  6. Regina Richards said...

    I agree, Wendy. Accentuate the positive!

  7. ... on May 03, 2011  
  8. Anonymous said...

    You always have your goals in your mind, and hell, being debt free is pretty awesome!!! I think you are inspiring and always reaching for more!

  9. ... on May 04, 2011