Once in there is no escape from the queue, short of vaulting over a barrier of display tables. My heart sinks as the fan line goes sluggish just as I come abreast Author One.

She's a lovely person: bright, vivacious, generous. But I'm on a budget. I've promised myself I'll only spend $20 at this signing. To ensure it I've only brought $20. That means two books tops. There are four authors signing.

Author One and I make awkward chit-chat while I politely eye her offerings and she arranges and rearranges her erotic romances. It quickly becomes embarrassingly clear I'm not going to buy. She glances past me to the next person in line - repeatedly. We are thinking in stereo: Please let the line move on. Now.

I wonder if she thinks I disapprove of erotic romance and that is my reason for not buying. It isn't. It's about only having come to the store with $20. But that said, I do share my home with voracious teenage readers.

I'd been scolded not long ago by a friend who noticed a handful of way hot romances mixed in with the year's other big-sellers on the bookshelf in my office. It didn't matter, she warned, if I was reading them as market research; having them in the house guaranteed my teens would read them. Did I allow my teens to go to sexually explicit movies?

Er, no.

Then why, my friend demanded, would I expose them to sexually explicit books?

Point taken. I'm against censoring adults' reading materials, but my personal tastes run more in the PG category. So protecting my teens was a real and handy excuse that let me off the 'market research' hook for reading the steamies. I'd driven away from the donation center without a backward glance and gone home - content - to my newly roomy bookshelf.

Finally the queue moved forward. I smiled at Author Two. Her new release , comfortably PG-13, was the reason I'd come to the bookstore today. I snagged a copy and she signed it for me. We chatted. The line moved forward again.

I had enough money remaining to buy one more book and though the signing table had been set up for four authors, I noted with relief that the last chair was empty. My money would take me to end of the table without any additional akwardness.

Author Three was offering both blazing hot and milder fare. I chose a mild one. As she signed it a chorus of scolding jubilation rippled through the crowd.  Young, beautiful, genuinely kind-hearted, and terrifically talented, Author Four was a crowd favorite. She slid into the last seat at the signing table while her entourage set up a snacks table at the end of the line and the crowd sweetly scolded her. She'd just had major surgery. She shouldn't be there. But the crowd was glad she was.

They flocked around the food, laughing and talking, blocking the queue from moving. I stood trapped in front of Author Four with no money left to spend.

We made awkward conversation about her health and her work. I felt a nightmare-ish sense of deja vu as she arranged and rearranged her display of ultra-steamy books, glancing past me repeatedly to the next person in line. People around me began to frown. I could almost hear them thinking: Who's the complete casserole who won't buy from this beloved author who has valiantly risen from her sick bed to be here?

Mercifully, the huddle at the refreshment table finally cleared enough for me to squeeze past the barrier of display tables. I shot out of the queue and past the refreshment table, paid for my books and slunk out of the store.

Note to self: never leave your credit card at home.

Something that's helping me write today: an unusual bout of insomnia.


This entry was posted on Friday, July 15, 2011 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

9 comments:

    Jennifer Probst said...

    HI Regina! That was so well described - and things like that have also happened to me. I just don't like a particular category and money is hard to come by, even though I love to support all authors. That awkwardness kills me every time! PS: You can buy my erotic novella because it's safely downloaded to your Kindle and no one will ever know - lol!!!!

  1. ... on July 16, 2011  
  2. Regina Richards said...

    I've already bought it, Jen. On my Kindle of course. ;) Definitelty steamie!

    I also bought your short A Life Worth Living on my Kindle and enjoyed it as well.

  3. ... on July 16, 2011  
  4. Jen FitzGerald said...

    I'm awful about supporting our authors. Because no matter how much I like you, I'm not buying a book I'm not interested in reading. Finances are just not that tight any more and I probably could. But I won't. Just as I really don't expect you to buy my book if it's not a genre you normally read. :)

    But you're sweet.

  5. ... on July 16, 2011  
  6. Regina Richards said...

    On of the things I like best about you, Jen Fitzgerald, is that you are honest and straightforward in all you do. :)

  7. ... on July 16, 2011  
  8. Jen FitzGerald said...

    Aw shucks!

    I'm working on that.

  9. ... on July 18, 2011  
  10. Wendy S Marcus said...

    Great post, Regina! As always. It has been waaaayyy too long since I've stopped by. Sorry about that!

    Being on the signing end of the author book signing experience I can tell you I don't expect everyone to buy my book. And I appreciate when people make chit chat while waiting to move on to the next author. But it does get awkward sitting there sometimes....

    My children are not readers. But my mother-in-law is. Once she entered my bedroom and perused my stacks of books looking for something to read. She looked at me funny for the rest of the afternoon. I now keep my steamier reads in the drawer by my bed or all the way on top of the shelf above my bed.

    But honestly....that'll teach her to snoop.

  11. ... on July 27, 2011  
  12. Regina Richards said...

    Lol, Wendy! Wouldn't it be funny if you thought your MIL was thinking "our sweet Wendy reads THAT!", when she was really thinking "wonder if I could slip one of those steamies into the guest room tonight without being caught" and "where could I find a flashlight to read it under the covers"?

  13. ... on July 27, 2011  
  14. Wendy S Marcus said...

    Come to think of it...after she left I couldn't find....nah. Never happen!

  15. ... on July 27, 2011  
  16. Regina Richards said...

    *grins* Never know. Even the mildest among us can get curious.

  17. ... on July 27, 2011