Tomorrow we visit the tax accountant. Throughout the year I toss writing receipts into a file. Today I'll sort and total those receipts. I dread it. Seeing the money I invest in writing each year is one thing, but being forced to look at that "income earned" figure ($0!!!) is deflating. Best get it done. And while I do, for the curious, below is a breakdown of what I spent, or at least what I kept the receipts for having spent, on writing way back in 2007.

Org. Dues - libraries, nat'l/local chapters, crit group: 207.50
Misc. Meeting Costs - lunches, raffle donations, etc. : 217.61
Research Materials - diaries, rare out of print books : 196.26
Contest Entry Fees - nine entries and/or critiques : 237.00
Office Supplies - mostly computer related : 1060.88
Conferences and Retreats - 2 local with no hotel costs : 238.47
Postage : 83.32

Total - not including gas, mileage, internet, various other : 2241.04

Income Earned From Writing : none

Hard to believe that just two years ago I was still sending enough stuff snail mail to have $83 in postage. Nowadays it's all electronic. Times change!


Something that's helping me write today: the comforting memory of fellow writer Jen Fitzgerald's remark on seeing my 2007 expenses..."That's about as much as my husband spends on paintball, and when those balls splat they're gone. Stories last. So write on!"


This entry was posted on Wednesday, January 27, 2010 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

6 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Keep on keeping on, Regina!

  1. ... on February 11, 2010  
  2. Regina Richards said...

    Hay J,

    Thanks for the encouraging words.

  3. ... on February 16, 2010  
  4. L.A. Mitchell said...

    I'm afraid to do my taxes this weekend. I know it adds up fast. I'm not sure how many more years I can eek out claiming stuff...I might be coming close to the 7 year rule...ah!

  5. ... on February 16, 2010  
  6. Regina Richards said...

    Because I have an office (tres petite) dedicated solely to writing, a computer dedicated solely to writing, and can prove via emails from an editor that I came close to selling something in 2009 (always a bridesmaid, never a bride) my tax accountant was able to claim this so-far-unprofitable business as a business nonetheless. So instead of owing Uncle Sam a few hundred dollars, Uncle Sam ended up owing me the price of a good lunch.

    I take what small encouragements I can get.

  7. ... on February 16, 2010  
  8. Beth Shriver said...

    Love the analogy of writing costs compared to paint ball. To each his own:) Beth

  9. ... on February 16, 2010  
  10. Regina Richards said...

    Hi Beth,

    Glad you're here! And like Jen I have several paintballers at my house. When dh raises a brow at the cost of my daughter's hair appointment I say, "The boys spend more than that on one weekend of paintball. Her perm lasts months."

    To a 15 year old girl feeling pretty is just as important as shooting his friends is to a 16 year old boy. ;)

  11. ... on February 16, 2010