A local museum advertised a free lecture on Victorian culture, an era I hope will be a good fit for a novel I'm planning. I noted the time and date on my writing calendar a month in advance and rearranged my schedule so I could attend. On the day of the class I gussied up and drove to town. My heart sank when I realized I was the only person in the audience.

I find myself in this situation regularly. And regularly, despite the fact the performer has already been paid in full for their appearance, I'm sent home without receiving the promised lecture, class, demonstration, training, or entertainment.

It's insulting!

By sending me home, the performer and/or their sponsor is telling me that the time and effort I put into being there is discardable, that I'm not important enough, not worth their time, that they were hoping for a better audience.

Luckily for me, the Victorian lecturer that day was a charming professional. She suggested we move to more comfortable seating, gave me a private lecture, and allowed me to ask tons of questions. She made me glad I'd made the effort to attend. Though the lecture was free, her time paid for by the museum, I made a donation before walking out the door. I also marked my calendar to attend her next lecture.

Something that's helping me write today: 15 minutes on the front porch with a glass of tea and a copy of "The 38 Most Common Fiction Writing Mistakes and How to Avoid Them" by the late Jack Bickham, author of seventy-five novels including the much-loved "The Apple Dumpling Gang".


This entry was posted on Monday, January 25, 2010 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: