But apparently it offends others so the original post for this title has been removed while I consider whether it is more important to be honest or "nice".

Something that is helping me write today: (or perhaps keeping me from writing?) How honest should I be in my work? And what responsibility do I have to others if my 'truth' makes them uncomfortable?


This entry was posted on Wednesday, September 15, 2010 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

4 comments:

    Wendy S Marcus said...

    Wow, Regina. That's a tough one. I try not to act in haste. (Don't always succeed.) Before writing an emotionally driven e-mail or post I wait at least 24 hours to see if I still feel the same way in the morning. If I do, I've usually calmed down enough to temper what I want to say. If you don't get it out it festers. You're a great writer. I'm sure you can figure a way to get your message across with a minimum of backlash. (As I sit here and bite my nails hoping I'm not the one who pissed you off!!!)

  1. ... on September 15, 2010  
  2. Regina Richards said...

    Never you, Wendy. I can't imagine you pissing anyone off.

    I am merely frustrated by a relative who lives so out of reality that sometimes I just want to poke this person with a stick and scream, "Stop verbally rewriting history! Stop insisting you were really the heroic victim rather than the willing accomplice. Accept responsibility or at least stop talking about it so the legitimate victims can heal and move on. It's been over for DECADES. Stop picking the scab!"

    But I don't scream or poke anyone with a stick. It's not my nature. I write. Still, you are right that with some things it's probably best not to post. Perhaps I'll use them as fodder for fiction instead. ;)

  3. ... on September 16, 2010  
  4. Wendy S Marcus said...

    Hope you're feeling better today.

    I anticipate a complex villain with memory issues in one of your future books!!!

  5. ... on September 16, 2010  
  6. Regina Richards said...

    Thanks, Wendy. :)

  7. ... on September 16, 2010