I heard about a writing contest - flash fiction with a prescribed opening line. The prize wasn't much, but for some reason I got fired up about it. I rushed home and spent hours writing a flash fiction tale.

Then I went to the website and read past winners. I know. I should have done that before I wrote the story, but like I said I was fired up. Having read the past winners, I felt pretty good about my chances.

The next day I showed the story to my husband who called it "adequately good" which means "yawn". So I spent TWO DAYS improving it. I layered in action, romance, personification, sensory elements, etc. I struggled to make each and every word count. My daughter read the improved version and was more encouraging than my husband had been.

Feeling good about my story, today I took the time to read some of the previous finalists (before I'd read only the winners). That's when I realized I'd been wasting my time.

You see, the reason I'd believed I could compete in this contest was that the previous winning entries were not works of extraordinary writing. But after reading many of the finalists from previous contests I was stunned. The difference in the quality of prose, plots, and characters between the winning entries and the finalists was profound, with the finalists' work being far superior to the winners' work. And honestly far, far superior to mine.

So what did the winners have in common? Their stories dealt with controversial issues. That's when I realized the contest, though billed as a writing contest, wasn't wholly about writing. It was also about promoting the sponsor's ideologies.

So lesson learned: I waste my time and energy when I fail to do my homework.

Something that's helping me write today: a quote. "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison


This entry was posted on Wednesday, September 22, 2010 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

10 comments:

    Jen FitzGerald said...

    Don't feel stupid. You got excited about writing and you wrote and you completed a story. That sounds like a great accomplishment to me.

  1. ... on September 22, 2010  
  2. Regina Richards said...

    Looking at it that way does make me feel better. Thanks, Jen. :)

  3. ... on September 22, 2010  
  4. Unknown said...

    At least you got a story out of it...chalk it up to inspiration.

    Now go find a home for it!

    AR:)

  5. ... on September 22, 2010  
  6. Regina Richards said...

    Thanks, AR. :)

  7. ... on September 22, 2010  
  8. Wendy S Marcus said...

    Jeeze Louise. I just wrote a long comment and it's off in cyber space. Here I go again. Sorry if it posts twice.

    Ok. I hate to make you feel more stupid (because I hope you know I'd never want to do that), but if you click on A.R. Norris's name you'll go to her blogger page. Under My Blogs click on A.R. Norris and you'll get to her blog. It's cool. I joined as a follower.

    With regard to your contest entry, I'd send it in. You worked hard on it. What do you have to lose? And if you could read the finalists entries, then so can others. It could be great exposure. Just a thought. Also, Writers Digest is running a short story contest. You could try there.

    If not, be proud that you set a goal for yourself and you achieved it. Good for you!!!

  9. ... on September 22, 2010  
  10. Regina Richards said...

    *blush* I am such a techno-idiot. Click on her name. How obvious is that? She does have a very cool blog!

    As to the story, I may send it in or find another home for it. But even if it never finds a home, writing flash fiction is always a great exercise in learning to write the essentials. So it's all good.

  11. ... on September 22, 2010  
  12. Marty Tidwell said...

    If you'd taken the time to research the contest you might not have written the story at all- and that would be a shame. Sometimes the smallest thing can kill our energy and smother the spark that got you fired up and writing. You got a story out of it and that's nothing to feel stupid about, Regina!

  13. ... on September 25, 2010  
  14. Jennifer Probst said...

    HI Regina,
    I too have been in this boat. I love short stories, and I used to find places where they actually pay you a good amount of money for the stories. I worked weeks on one, knowing it was perfect, and when I began comparing to the other stories who were printed, found my writing style completely different. And I knew then it was a waste. But it wasn't. Anything we write on the page is NEVER a waste. We get better, more creative, and I have re-crafted the story multiple times and sent it out again. Has it been published yet? Nope. But I know it will, when I finally find the right market and fit. Never call yourself stupid for following your dream and being brave to venture into uncharted territory.

  15. ... on October 05, 2010  
  16. Regina Richards said...

    Thanks Marty,

    I can always depend on you for both good sense and needed comfort. If I could only take 15 people to a desert island with me you would be one of them - after the kids, hubby, and the umbrella-drink-delivering cabana boys of course. ;)

  17. ... on October 06, 2010  
  18. Regina Richards said...

    Thanks Jennifer for the words of encouragement. You are right. Persistence is key - and having friends who encourage you to persist in persisting is wonderful!

  19. ... on October 06, 2010