"Really?"

"Yes."

"No, really?"

*blush* "Yes."

"A thousand dollars in August?"

"One thousand and eight. For a family of five. And we're not talking 4-star, more like drive-thru. So we decided to stop eating out. Declared a moratorium on it. No more eating out in September. Not one dime's worth. That's what we said."

"And?"

"Four hundred and two dollars in September."

"Four hundred. How do you know? Do you write it all down?

"I track it electronically."

"Wow. One thousand in August. Four hundred in September. Better. But still, four hundred dollars?"

"I know, I know. A waste. And we need that money for other things. Gotta stop."

"So what are you going to do?"

"Did it. Declared a moratorium on eating out in October."

"Another moratorium? You do know what moratorium means, right?"

"Yep. No eating out this month. None. Not one nickle's worth. That's what we decided."

"Hmmm. Will it work this time?"

"Sure. Probably. Eventually."

"Really?"

*nod*

"No, REALLY?"

"Well, we've only spent $9.00 so far."

"So far? It's October 1st."


Something that's helping me write today: This thought: Sometimes Success is incremental.


This entry was posted on Friday, October 01, 2010 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

8 comments:

    Jen FitzGerald said...

    I really miss eating out. :)

    Good luck.

  1. ... on October 04, 2010  
  2. Regina Richards said...

    My boys and my husband hate eating out. My daughter loves it. I used to really enjoy it, but I can't really say I've "enjoyed" it for years. It has just become a pattern.

  3. ... on October 04, 2010  
  4. Wendy S Marcus said...

    Very funny post, Regina! After twenty years I am tired of cooking dinner. (And my children are tired of eating the seven recipies I've mastered!) We don't eat out all that much, but we do take out at least twice a week. When I review the credit card statements, I can't believe how many entries there are for restaurants. (Apparently we eat out more than I thought.) I've never added it all up. I don't want to know. And just so I don't fret when I get my credit card bills, I've started paying cash!

  5. ... on October 04, 2010  
  6. Regina Richards said...

    Paying cash...hmm...wonder if I could get away with...


    Remember that old I Love Lucy episode where Ricki hires a financial manager to curb Lucy's spending? The manager takes Lucy's credit cards and puts her on a cash allowance. Lucy tells Ethel she's figured out a way to still have everything she wants. She starts charging her groceries and keeping the cash to spend on her clothing shopping addiction.

    Eventually of course her financial cheating catches up with her and the manager quits leaving her in even worse money straits than when she started.

    ...ah, wicked, wicked temptation...

  7. ... on October 04, 2010  
  8. Unknown said...

    Ack! *blushing* Just announced to my husband we should start a "moratorium" on spending this month, in anticipation of the end of the year bills that always get us.

    I'm glad you reminded me! I'm sure my husband isn't =)

    Amy

  9. ... on October 04, 2010  
  10. Regina Richards said...

    I love that expression Ack! It is exactly how I feel about dealing with the reality of finances.

  11. ... on October 04, 2010  
  12. Jennifer Probst said...

    I LOVE eating out - big time! My husband is always trying to hold me back, but with our finances being cut down, I need to say good-bye for a bit. I will say though that I was very depressed this weekend, and I saw a Pizza Hut commercial for $10. I got a craving. He asked what's for dinner - I said Pizza Hut. He yelled (not really) and said no way, we're cooking, yada, yada yada. It was raining and dark and Pizza Hut doesn't deliver. Then a bit later he comes out dressed with the car keys and tells me he is going. I almost fainted and asked him why. He told me he felt bad I was so depressed and that maybe pizza would help. So sweet! And it did help - calories always help with mood!!!!! So, I guess we have to get better too because it's only 10/4!! Very funny post...

  13. ... on October 05, 2010  
  14. Regina Richards said...

    Your hubby sounds like a sweetie, Jen. Lucky girl. :)

  15. ... on October 06, 2010