Last weekend I went on a retreat that really got my juices flowing again. It was the perfect combination of time to socialize with my fellow writers (amazingly intellegent, witty, and wise folks) and time to work in a visually soothing and blessedly uninterrupted environment.

I came home Sunday evening from the retreat ready to work. And work I have! But by the following Saturday I noticed that I wasn't able to concentrate anymore. Soooo... this weekend I'm taking another kind of retreat - a retreat from writing.

Perhaps I'll putter around and get some housework done, go for a walk, browse the shops, lure my husband out to dinner and a movie, soak in the tub. Maybe I'll make a much needed trip to the grocery store. But no worries. i'll be back at the keyboard Monday. Because I just can't help myself.

Do you ever find you've temporarily written yourself out? What do you do to recreate yourself while you give the muse a rest?

Something that's helping me write today: taking a day off from writing.


This entry was posted on Saturday, November 20, 2010 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

9 comments:

    Wendy S Marcus said...

    And nowhere on this blog do I see the news that REGINA RICHARDS FINISHED SECOND IN BRENDA NOVAK'S 2010 MENTORSHIP CONTEST!!! This is fantastic news and needs to be shared!!! Congrats Regina! Hope you enjoyed your time off from writing.

  1. ... on November 21, 2010  
  2. Anonymous said...

    I love reading your blog because you can always get us fresh and cool stuff, I feel that I ought to at least say a thank you for your hard work.

    - Henry

  3. ... on November 22, 2010  
  4. Jen FitzGerald said...

    Usually, I start reading a lot of books or watching a lot of TV shows and movies. (A-hem, all those reviews I've written recently...)

    Generally, I don't go completely writing free, because, as you said, I just can't help myself. Productivity slows way down, of course, but I'm never far from some WIP or another.

    I hope your weekend was relaxing and refreshing.

  5. ... on November 24, 2010  
  6. Regina Richards said...

    Thanks, Wendy. I'd take you on as my PR person anyday! You are the best.

  7. ... on November 24, 2010  
  8. Regina Richards said...

    @ Jen. I did have a relaxing weekend and I am revved to work again this week, but by Wednesday there were so many folks around I gave up and decided to just enjoy the holiday. My son is home visiting from college. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  9. ... on November 24, 2010  
  10. Wendy S Marcus said...

    My daughter won't make it home for Thanksgiving. She has class until 7:00 p.m. on Wed. night and it's a seven hour drive. Granted, she probably could have split up the trip if she wanted to, but a teacher she really likes is having an orphan Thanksgiving dinner for all those who couldn't make it home and she decided to stay. (Along with approx. 50 other kids.) Break my heart. But she'll be home for Christmas break....after Chanukah is over. I guess I should get used to it, but I'm a bit teary-eyed at the thought of her not being here when all he family is together....because all the family won't be together without her here.

  11. ... on November 24, 2010  
  12. Regina Richards said...

    Oh, Wendy! She's going to miss both holidays? That would get me teary-eyed as well.

    I'm glad she has friends to share Thanksgiving with. Does she have anyone to celebrate Chanukah with at school?

  13. ... on November 24, 2010  
  14. Wendy S Marcus said...

    I'M SOOOOO HAPPY! MY DAUGHTER CAME HOME TO SURPRISE ME FOR THANKSGIVING. AND I PROCEEDED TO CRY LIKE A BABY! I'M SOOOOOOO HAPPY I HAD TO COME TELL YOU. Now back to the kitchen. I'm doing Thanksgiving for 25 in 3 hours.

  15. ... on November 25, 2010  
  16. Regina Richards said...

    I am soooo Happy for you, Wendy!!!! What a wonderful young woman you raised! HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  17. ... on November 25, 2010