I'm better at keeping Lenten promises than New Year's Resolutions. My New Year's Resolutions tend to be big and idealistic. I'll vow to tackle a massive problem with precision and perfectionism. I'll maintain a Green-Beret-ishly grueling workout schedule, or write a Tolkien-length novel every three months, or NEVER, EVER eat anything yummy again. I always fail.

My Lenten resolutions are smaller, more focused, and more practical. I usually succeed.

A decade ago our family gave up TV for Lent (one small aspect of the larger problem of time-wasting inactivity). When Lent ended, evening TV returned. But daytime TV had been vanquished for good - a real and lasting improvement. For Lent 2010 we gave up TV again and when Lent ended our evening TV habit had so diminished that DH and I took the perfectly good TV out of our bedroom and donated it to charity. It hasn't been missed.

Lent works for me. But it's December and Lent is a long way off. I need change now. So a New Year's Resolution will have to do.

In the past I'd start my hunt for the perfect resolution by looking at the big picture: Get Healthy, Get Published, More Organized House, Stronger Finances, Spiritual Growth, Be More Social, Volunteer More, etc. Narrowing it down to one or two, I'd create" a plan for achieving this goal".
It was massive, complicated, and looked awesome on paper. It was DOOMED.

Perhaps it's time to take a lesson from Lent. Isn't it better to consistently succeed small, than always fail big?


Something that's helping me write today: Advent. Advent is a time of spiritual preparation for Christmas. And I'm trying to make it that. But when it comes to writing, I'm also using the example and inspiration of Advent preparation by doing small things each day to prepare my writing path for 2011. A smidgen at a time, I'm organizing my writing, my office, my systems, my schedules, my market lists, my submission lists, etc.


This entry was posted on Friday, December 17, 2010 and is filed under , , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

5 comments:

    Jen FitzGerald said...

    Good luck, Regina!

    If you need accountability, let me know. I'd be glad to nudge you daily or weekly. :)

  1. ... on December 17, 2010  
  2. Regina Richards said...

    You know, Jen, that may be exactly what I need. :)

  3. ... on December 17, 2010  
  4. Wendy S Marcus said...

    Wow, Regina. I really thought I commented on this. I am happy to prod you along as well, although I think you're more motivated than you let on!! Earlier this year I joined a wonderful group: Writing GIAM - Writing goals in a month. Each week we post goals. The next week we post our progress and new goals for the following week. The authors/writers are not people you know...although I met some at National last year...but they cheer your successes, give you a kick in the butt when you need it, and commisurate failures. I'm on loop x4. They just started a fifth loop. Amy Atwell runs it. She's wonderful. Here's the link:
    http://www.writinggiam.com/ Or there's always the Bad Mommy loop...Good luck!!!

  5. ... on December 20, 2010  
  6. Anonymous said...

    Yep, we are always here for you Regina, but I like Wendy's idea a lot. So much, I may try it myself. It's too easy to get sucked up in the million other things regarding writing and forget to write new stuff. Little goals are so much easier than vast goals. I also agree with Wendy though that you are way more motivated and accomplished than you are letting on! And I have always loved Lent as a jumpstart. Have not done that in a while either so maybe it is time to go back to basics!!

  7. ... on December 21, 2010  
  8. Regina Richards said...

    Thanks Wendy and Jennifer. You guys are fabulous.

  9. ... on December 28, 2010