For 5 years I've wanted to attend the RWA National Conference. I've plotted, planned, and saved. I've bought tickets twice. I've never made it.

Something always comes up. The saved money goes to something more urgent or the conference date coincides with a big can't-miss family event.

But hope springs eternal, so this year I'm plotting and planning and saving to go to New York. I have a pair of fun roomies for the hotel stay and a little money (for now). But how will I get there?

Texas to New York in the 21st century. The answer is obvious, right?

Not so fast. You see, I HATE flying. I can fly. I do - if I can't figure out any other way to (reasonably) get somewhere. But if there's another way, any way, I'm interested.

So I've wasted two good hours today, while I could have been writing, arguing with myself about cars and planes and trains. My husband thinks this is highly amusing.

"Fly," he says.

And I give him all the reasons that wouldn't be good.

"Take the train," he says.

I recite all the pros and cons of training my way to New York.

"Perhaps I should drive," I say. "I could camp along the way like I did to Utah last year. See some of the country."

He grins. "Which country? Canada?"

He's right. I have no sense of direction. I'm famous for my "interesting detours". I once tried to drive from Stuttgart, Germany to Paris, France and ended up at the border of Lichtenstein (or was it Luxemburg?). The border guard was quite amused. But I made it to Paris - eventually. I make it almost anywhere I decide to go, just not always by the most direct route.

So will it be planes, trains, or "the scenic tour"? Not sure yet. But I'll let you know.

How do you get where you're going - in life and in writing?

Something that's helping me write today: a timer which lets me know, in the most annoying fashion, that I've wasted all the time allowed today and it's time to get to work.


This entry was posted on Friday, December 03, 2010 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

7 comments:

    Jennifer Probst said...

    Regina, I don't care how you get there - I am just so excited to be with you conferencing in the Big Apple! We will have so much fun. I understand what you mean about planes though, so maybe it should be a train? Plane is faster. Hmmm, the choices...

  1. ... on December 03, 2010  
  2. Regina Richards said...

    I have to admit I'm leaning toward the train. Partly because writing on a train has a certain appeal. And partly for the general Agatha Christie-ishness of it.

  3. ... on December 04, 2010  
  4. Wendy S Marcus said...

    This was my same dilema I had for this year's conference. I am NOT a good flyer, either. I also considered the train vs. driving. My husband also found it amusing. (MEN!) I convinced my husband and son to go with me, which didn't work until a natural disaster changed the location to Orlando. And I waited so long to make my reservations, I couldn't get a hotel room for Saturday night and missed the Rita/GH award dinner. I'm hoping to make it this year! I'm so excited to be rooming with you and Jen (with Amy close by)! We're going to have a blast!!! Oh, and learn some great stuff, too!

  5. ... on December 04, 2010  
  6. Regina Richards said...

    Hi Wendy.

    Laughing husbands. What is so hard to understand about not wanting to get in a small cylinder and be hurtled through the sky at incredible speeds and then attempt to land on a piece of concrete that looks like little more than a ribbon mere seconds before you reach it?

    Oh, and the plane usually smells bad too.

  7. ... on December 04, 2010  
  8. Unknown said...

    Well, y'all know how much time I spend in airplanes! I sleep, write, read, and meet interesting people every time I do. And airports are great for people watching.

    However, as an Agatha Christie fan I do like the romantic sounding train ride. So now I'm feeling almost jealous! As long as it doesn't turn into a Murder on the NY express kinda thing.

  9. ... on December 05, 2010  
  10. Jen FitzGerald said...

    The train sounds very writerish, Regina. I'm not overly fond of flying either, so the train would be a fun alternative. Training instead of driving would let you get some writing time in.

    I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed that nothing goes awry for your trip.

  11. ... on December 06, 2010  
  12. Anonymous said...

    Great site. A lot of useful information here. I’m sending it to some friends!

  13. ... on January 20, 2011