Below is a favorite lunch. Cheddar, turkey, and guacamole on toast with a side of nuts and fresh berries. The calorie count:

150 cal. - 2 slices of toast

25 cal. - 2 slices lean turkey


100 cal. - pouch Wholly Guacamole


100 cal. - raw nuts and fresh berries


200 cal. - 2 slices cheddar

575 calories total


Now, let’s pretend I eat this same lunch 5 days a week and I want to drop a few pounds (which I do). Assuming I keep the rest of my diet static, I can lose 7+ pounds this year by simply changing one component of this meal and I won’t even notice the difference. How?

Remove a single slice of cheddar and
this.........................................................becomes this.


By breaking a half slice of cheddar into puzzle-type sections, as shown here, I can still adequately cover the toast.

There’s still cheddary goodness in every bite, but I’ve trimmed away 100 calories per meal.

100 cal x 5 days x 52 weeks = 26,000 calories or approx. 7.5 pounds per year.

Quite a difference, right?

But what does this have to do with writing novels?

I’m coming to believe that tiny, almost unnoticeable changes in my day, implemented consistently over long periods of time, are what will eventually transform a housewife into a published novelist.

So I keep eating that elephant one bite at a time.


Something that’s helping me write today: The example of the confident initiative shown by my handsome, but quiet future-engineer son. When he needed a date to a fancy dress ball, he walked right up to the prettiest, most vivacious girl he knew and asked her out - despite the fact he felt there was a good chance she'd turn him down.

She said, “Yes!”

I wonder if she could teach that word to some agents and editors for me.



This entry was posted on Sunday, March 14, 2010 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

6 comments:

    Liana Brooks said...

    Good for your son!

    What a fun post... I don't think I've ever tallied calories with writing before. It's a new approach, and I like it. :o)

  1. ... on March 14, 2010  
  2. Regina Richards said...

    Thanks, Liana. You're a blogger, right? What's your web address?

  3. ... on March 14, 2010  
  4. Jen FitzGerald said...

    Yay for your son, Regina! How cool.

    And your lunch looks delicious, too.

  5. ... on March 15, 2010  
  6. Regina Richards said...

    Thanks, Jen. About that lunch....

    Hubby had been working in the yard all morning, so after I made that lunch I took pity on him. I had my daughter take it out to him with a tall glass of ice tea. He was thrilled. And hungry. He set the lunch on the picnic table and started to take a seat. He saw a flash of tri-colored fur fly by. Our beagle heaped up onto the table and off again, snatching one of the open-faced sandwiches. Hubby came stomping into the house wanting another - after, of course, downing what remained of his lunch.

  7. ... on March 16, 2010  
  8. hubby said...

    I really missed those calories...Hubby

  9. ... on March 18, 2010  
  10. Wendy S Marcus said...

    Great post, Regina, as always. Loved the pictures. I'm still not good at adding pictures to my blog. And kudos to your son. I always tell my children, "It doesn't hurt to ask." (But it does take guts!)

  11. ... on March 20, 2010