I adore the man. He's been my husband and best friend for 20+ years. When I'm with him I laugh and smile. He makes me feel good about myself and my life.

But I want him to GO BACK TO WORK!

Hubby and the kids were off ten days for spring break vacation. Good fun. But when the door closed behind them as they returned to work and school, I admit I actually kissed the door panel before trotting gleefully into my office to write. I sat down in the cozy quiet and slid into my other-world. Delicious.

But not for long.

Hubby was at work only a few hours before he returned home sick. Very sick. Multiple doctor's visits, lots of meds, and several days later he is finally on the mend. But it's been two weeks (TWO WEEKS!) since I've gotten any real writing done. I'm starting to feel cranky.

To all you lucky sorts who can write with toddlers tugging your skirts, teens asking for car keys/cash/consoling, and husbands munching corn flakes in your ear while looking over your shoulder: I tip my keyboard to you.

I can bring that sort of concentration to almost any other endeavor: reading, tv viewing, conversations, algebra, anything. Except writing. At this point in my development as a writer I need to give my full attention to the process.

Constant interruptions are derailing. And anticipation of interruption is in itself an interruption.

So I'm spending my time doing things I can do between interruptions: research, broad plotting and outlining, character development, writing snippets of dialogue, reading, laundry. Four more days to a quiet house.

What about you? Can you work amid chaos or do you need quiet?

Something that's helping me write today: The fact that I would trade every word I've written or will ever write for this wonderful life I share with the people I love. And the comfort of knowing that because they love me too, I'll never need to.


This entry was posted on Thursday, March 25, 2010 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

    Wendy S Marcus said...

    Hi Regina!
    My husband and I often joke that we could carry on a conversation in a war zone.

    But NO! I cannot write amidst chaos. I can, however, do preliminary edits/revisions when my family is home, demanding my attention every five minutes. But when I have to put new words to blank page, I need quiet.

  1. ... on March 26, 2010  
  2. Steve said...

    Thank you for the patience and the love you show me. Write away...

  3. ... on April 01, 2010