In the April issue of Romance Writers Report an article by Kris Kennedy and Courtney Milan titled The Treadmill Desk details how to set up your computer so that you can write while walking on a treadmill. Probably works well for some, but for me this would be DANGEROUS.

When I write, I'm not in the here and now. I'm Otherwhere. Deep, deep in Otherwhere.

I have good balance and coordination. But I'm a person with the ability to concentrate intensely. So intensely that in the past I've tumbled off a treadmill simply because I was watching tv or listening to music and got so mentally engaged I forgot where I was and what I was doing. Ouch!

No, a treadmill desk is not a safe option for me. But it started me thinking about multi-tasking writing with exercise.

I already do this to some extent. Agatha Christie once said she did her best plotting while handwashing her dishes. I do some of my best plotting while taking a bath, folding laundry, running errands, and preparing dinner. But exercise and type at the same time? Could I make that work?

Maybe. I have an exercise bike. I have a wireless keyboard. I'm used to sitting while writing and even during my most intense visits to Otherwhere I don't fall out of my seat. It's worth a try.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Something that's helping me write today: having my April posting for my Four Bad Mommies blog complete. Visit me there if you have a minute.


This entry was posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 and is filed under , , , , , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

4 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Okay, I give you tons of credit for even THINKING of exercising and writing together!!! Writing without doing anything else is hard enough for me - let me know how it goes!

  1. ... on April 23, 2011  
  2. Regina Richards said...

    Will do, Jen - from my desk at home or my hosital bed - depending...

  3. ... on April 25, 2011  
  4. Wendy S. Marcus said...

    I have been a terrible blogger lately, I apologize. Hey...don't you sit on an exercise ball while you write? That requires coordination!

    I don't see myself typing while on the treadmill. I do plot while I'm on there (but I'm not on there as often as I should be!) I do my best plotting in the shower. No interruptions. I recently saw a notepad device for the shower. I may look into it!

  5. ... on April 26, 2011  
  6. Regina Richards said...

    A notepad device for the shower? Is nothing sacred?

    Shower time is for singing at the top of my lungs while deluding myself that I actually sound GOOD. Isn't it?

  7. ... on April 26, 2011