Last week I volunteered two scenes of my work to my RWA chapter to dissect publicly for problems with tags and pacing. At the time I offered to be a sacrificial lamb, I was thinking "growing experience". Now I'm thinking, "Oooops!".

One scene has been thoroughly critiqued by a writing buddy. It was later much-praised for its pacing by a best-selling writer during a workshop.

The other scene is from the first draft of a new novel. It's never been critiqued. The folks doing the public examination of these two scenes have no knowledge about them. As far as they're concerned they could both be first drafts or both be polished products. I'm curious to see what the verdict will be for each and how those verdicts will compare. That's the "growing experience" portion.

The "Oooops!" portion is simply my inborn reluctance to be naked in public.

Wish me well or wish me courage.

Something that's helping me write today: this quote from Will Rogers - Don't be afraid to go out on a limb. That's where all the fruit is.


This entry was posted on Friday, April 15, 2011 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

3 comments:

    Jen FitzGerald said...

    Regina, I've read your work. You have nothing to be worried about. Even the first draft piece will be great. :)

  1. ... on April 15, 2011  
  2. Regina Richards said...

    Thanks, Jen. :)

    Nikki may not even choose to use my work. She may pick someone else's. So we'll see.

    At least I'll get to a meeting. It's been forever. The last two meetings I've actually been dressed ready to go out the door when suddenly 1) hubby had to go to the emergency room and 2) daughter had an event to attend and her brother was tied up with work and couldn't drive her so I had to play chauffer.

  3. ... on April 15, 2011  
  4. Regina Richards said...

    Dodged the bullet on Saturday. my stuff wasn't selected to be read.

    But, Jen, I really enjoyed you scene. Keep writing. You have a gift to share!

  5. ... on April 19, 2011